Training of Authorized Seed Inspectors
AUTHORIZED SEED INSPECTORS
Authorized Seed Inspector is a person authorized to undertake inspection of seed by the Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute (TOSCI).
According to the seed law, the ASIs should be trained by TOSCI.
As stipulated in the Seeds Act No. 18 of 2003 section 8 (1); the Minister for Agriculture (MOA) shall by notice published in the Gazzette, appoint or designate qualified persons to be Authorized Seed Inspectors. For proper seeds inspection, the MOA may in consultation with the Minister responsible for Local Government establish the modalities for the appointment and accountability at the ASIs of the Local Government authorities levels. Every officer appointed shall be issued a certificate, identity card or a document as a proof of his appointment or and such documents shall be produced on entering at any place of his/her duties.
The Chief Seed Certification Officer may suspend or cancel the activities of ASIif the inspector fail to demonstrate competence in his/her undertakings, retire, pass away, quit in the public service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify if there is any Quality Declared Seed (QDS) growers in the district followed by submission of field registration forms to TOSCI.ASIs can also do inspection for certified seeds when requested by TOSCI.
- Authorized District Seed Inspectors carry out 90%field inspection of registered QDS growersaccordance with the QDS rules and requirements.
- Seed sampling in accordance with QDS and International Seed Testing Association (ISTA) rules.
- When there is evidence that the seed offered for sale is below standards, the ASIs can withdrawal the seed from the market.
- Training district QDS seed producers on seed quality control.
- To take appropriate action against seed traders in the district where there is evidence that seed is being offered for sale when it is below the standards.
- Carry out seed inspection in godown, seed shops, warehouses, seed processing plants, train wagons and seed stores.
- Prepare and submit unbiased, accurate, and comprehensive reports of seed and fieldinspections, seed samplingin a timely manner to TOSCI headquarters/branches.
- District representative of TOSCI to all issues concerning with seed quality control.
ETHICS OF AUTHORIZED SEED INSPECTORS
- ASIs shall not engage in any business connected to seeds productions, processing, marketing, importation, exportation or distribution either by himself or by agent. Any ASI who contravenes the above conditions, commits an offence and shall, on conviction, be liable to a fine of not less than five million shillings or to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years and not more than five years or to both.
AUDITING OF THE EFFICIENCY FOR THEASIs
- TOSCI is responsible to undertake auditing of ASIs during field inspection, seed sampling and seed inspection in collaboration with the Local government, therefore, determining the strength, weakness of the ASIs. This is important as can determine the efficient of the ASIs and establish the type of future training needed to the inspectors.